The goal of this program is to equip students with critical skills in digital, broadcast and print media. The graduates of the program will gain hands-on experience in researching, writing, editing, presenting and producing of timely content that meets professional standards.
- Television News Reporter
- Radio News Reporter
- Print Media Reporter
- Communications Officer
- Media Entrepreneur
Goal of the Program
- To produce students who can write a variety of mass media products, such as news stories, press releases, and advertising copies while following the accepted journalistic professional standards.
- Research, write, edit and create materials according to the practices and standards of news organizations, magazines and professional communications.
- To produce students who can assess newsworthy information.
- To produce students who can disseminate news stories through audio and visual communication.
Duration of the Programme
Four (4) Academic Years- Eight (8) semesters
- KCSE certificate with a minimum aggregate of C+ (Plus) with a minimum of C+ (Plus) in English or Kiswahili or its equivalent.
- Holder of a relevant diploma that is recognised by the University Senate.
- Be a holder of a Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) certificate with a minimum of two principal passes and one subsidiary pass.
- Any other qualification as approved by Senate.
- Research, write and edit news stories.
- Disseminate news stories through audio and visual communication.
- Assess newsworthy information.
- Distinguish ethical and unethical journalism practices
CURRICULUM SETUP FOR BACHELOR OF JOURNALISM
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 1
- BCU 100 Communication Skills
- BJO 111 ENGLISH FOR JOURNALISTS
- BCU 102 Health And Wellness Management
- BCU 101 Introduction To Computer Studies and Internet
- BAJ 110 INTRODUCTION TO JOURNALISM
- BJO 112 MEDIA AND SOCIETY
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 2
- BAJ 122 DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND PHOTOJOURNALISM
- BAJ 123 GRAPHIC DESIGN AND PRESENTATION
- ERE 111 Introduction to creative and critical thinking
- BJO 120 KISWAHILI KWA WANAHABARI
- BAJ 120 NEWS WRITING AND REPORTING
- BAJ 121 WRITING FOR MASS MEDIA
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 1
- BAJ 211 GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT
- BAJ 210 MASS MEDIA THEORIES
- BAJ 214 MEDIA LAW AND THE CONSTITUTION
- BAJ 213 ONLINE JOURNALISM
- BPSY 216 PSYCHOLOGY OF COMMUNICATION
- BAJ 212 WRITING AND EDITING TECHNIQUES
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 2
- BAJ 222 BROADCAST PRODUCTION
- BAV 223 FUNDAMENTALS OF ADVERTISING
- BPR 220 FUNDAMENTALS OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
- BAJ 221 JOURNALISM ETHICS
- BAJ 223 SIGN LANGUAGE
- BAJ 220 WRITING FOR PRINT
YEAR 3 SEMESTER 1
- BJO 312 AUDIENCE ANALYSIS
- BAJ 311 AUDIO AND VIDEO PRODUCTION
- BJO 310 COMMUNICATION RESEARCH
- BAJ 312 CONFLICT REPORTING AND PEACE JOURNALISM
- BAJ 313 INFORMATION SOURCING AND MANAGEMENT IN COMMUNICATION
- BAJ 310 MEDIA MANAGEMENT
YEAR 3 SEMESTER 2
- BAJ 323 BROADCAST NEWS PRODUCTION
- BAJ 320 CRITICAL WRITING AND REVIEWING
- BAJ 321 EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING
- BAJ 324 LIGHTING TECHNIQUES
- BAJ 322 MULTIMEDIA STORYTELLING
- BCU 320 Research Methods
YEAR 4 SEMESTER 1
- BAJ 410 BROADCASTING PROGRAMMING
- BJO 410 DOCUMENTARY PRODUCTION
- BAJ 413 EDITORIAL WRITING
- BCU 410 Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- BAJ 412 NEWSPAPER AND MAGAZINE PRODUCTION
- BAJ 411 SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY REPORTING
YEAR 4 SEMESTER 2
- BJO 423 DATA JOURNALISM
- BAJ 420 DIGITAL BROADCASTING
- BCU 401 Industrial Attachment
- BAJ 425 INVESTIGATIVE AND INTERPRETATIVE REPORTING
- BMD 420 MEDIA PROJECT
- BAJ 422 SAFETY AND PROTECTION OF JOURNALISTS
- BAJ 421 STUDIO AND BROADCAST TECHNOLOGY OPERATIONS