Mental health: Six benefits of therapy
This week, our Student Affairs offices shares on the benefits of counselling. Counselling is a talking therapy that involves a trained therapist listening to you and helping you find ways to deal with emotional issues. Therapy can be rewarding and is done in a safe, judgment-free space where you can share anything and receive advice from a trained professional.
Here are six benefits of therapy:
- You’ll learn more about yourself. The therapist will listen to your story and help you make connections. She/he might offer guidance or recommendations if you feel lost. Therapy can empower you to take action on your own.
- Helps you achieve your goals. If you aren’t sure of what your goals are, therapy can help you clarify them and set realistic steps to meet them.
- Helps you have more fulfilling relationships. Whether you’re single or in a relationship, therapy can help you address difficulties with relating to others, such as insecurity in relationships or difficulty trusting partners.
- Improves your health. Research supports a link between mind and body wellness. Untreated mental health issues can impact physical wellness. On the other hand, people in good emotional health better deal with physical health issues.
- Therapy can lead to improvement in all areas of life. If you feel like something is holding you back from living life as you envision it, therapy can help you address this. If you aren’t sure what’s keeping you from making necessary changes, therapy can help you discover the answer.
- Therapy helps improve symptoms of many mental health conditions. In therapy, people also learn to cope with symptoms that may not respond to treatment right away. Medication can reduce some symptoms of mental health conditions, but therapy teaches people skills to address symptoms on their own. These skills last after therapy ends, and symptoms may continue to improve.
To contact our resident counselling psychologist, you can email email@example.com or visit Room 214 at our Thika Road Campus to get assistance.