This programme is designed to equip the trainee with knowledge, skills and attitude that will enable him/her to perform relevant duties related to social work and community development. A graduate of this will be able to work in a salaried or self-employment achieve this, units such as entrepreneurship, communication skills, life skills, information communication technology have been included.
- To equip the social development worker with the necessary knowledge, skills and experience that will enable then to effectively implement national development policies.
- To produce social development workers who appreciate the role of other professionals and involve them in solution of social problems.
- Develop knowledge, skills and positive attitudes for self-improvement and national development.
- To enhance positive attitudes of social development workers towards individuals, family and groups in the society.
- Enhance community participation in social development activities for self-reliance and sustainability.
- Promote ethical practices in the appraisal and solution of social development problems.
- Apply acquired knowledge and skills to perform social work tasks
Key Skills and interests required to pursue a career in this Field i.e,
- Interpersonal Skills
- Social Skills
- Planning Skills
- Communication Skills
- Critical thinking
Admission Requirements i.e.,
- KCSE certificate with a minimum aggregate of D (plain) with a minimum of KCSE D (Plain) OR
- Equivalent qualifications as approved by the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC)
Duration of the Programme
This certificate course shall be offered in Four (4) terms.
- To equip learners with Knowledge and Skills in Social Work field
- To enhance Student’s Knowledge and Understanding of Contemporary Social Problems
- To lay a foundation for students to in readiness for a Diploma in Social Work or any other related academic discipline.
- To equip learners with necessary skills and knowledge to be able to utilize locally available resources for betterment of society
- To promote ethical, legal practices and other emerging issues in appraising and solving social and development problems
- Design, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (DMEAL) and Capacity Building Coordinator-Sponsorship Operations. …
- Social Behavior Change Lead. …
- Livelihood Assistant. …
- Assistant Economic Inclusion, HIAS Kenya. …
- Project Officer – Child Protection
- Community Development Officer.
- Community Development Support Officer.
- Community Centre Coordinator.
- Community Arts Officer.
- Community Engagement Officer.
- Program Officer.
Diploma, Degree in Humanities and social sciences.
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 1
- CFB 111 Mathematics
- CMB 111 Financial Accounting
- CMB 112 Entrepreneurship Education
- CSW 111 Introduction to Sociology
- CSW 112 Essentials of Social Policy
- CSW 113 Kiswahili
- CSW 114 Legal Aspects in Social Work & Community Development
- ICT 111 Information Communication Technology - Theory
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 2
- CFB 121 Mathematics
- CMB 121 Financial Accounting
- CMB 122 Entrepreneurship Education
- CSW 121 Introduction to Sociology
- CSW 122 Essentials of Social Policy
- CSW 123 Kiswahili
- CSW 124 Legal Aspects in Social Work & Community Development
- ICT 121 Information Communication Technology
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 3
- CFB 131 Mathematics
- CMB 131 Financial Accounting
- CMB 132 Entrepreneurship Education
- CSW 131 Introduction to Sociology
- CSW 132 Essentials of Social Policy
- CSW 133 Kiswahili
- CSW 134 Legal Aspects in Social Work & Community Development
- CSW 135 Industrial Attachment
- ICT 131 Information Communication Technology
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 1
- CMB 115 Communication Skills
- CSW 211 Introduction to Community Development
- CSW 212 History and Government of Kenya
- CSW 213 Community Health
- CSW 214 Human Growth & Development
- CSW 215 Administration and Management
- CSW 216 Business Research Methods
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 2
- CMB 125 Communication Skills
- CSW 221 Introduction to Community Development
- CSW 222 History and Government of Kenya
- CSW 223 Community Health
- CSW 224 Human Growth & Development
- CSW 225 Administration and Management
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 3
- CMB 135 Communication Skills
- CSW 231 Introduction to Community Development
- CSW 232 History and Government of Kenya
- CSW 233 Community Health
- CSW 234 Human Growth & Development
- CSW 235 Administration and Management