This programme will offer skills in initiating and managing community development programme to empower graduates to make notable impact in society. Development Studies provide knowledge that addresses global development challenges from a multidisciplinary, social science perspective and trains learners to become effective problem solvers. The course also equips students with skills and practical training to enable them to effectively participate in development activities and initiate empowering community engagements.
- Social workers
- Community development specialists
- Project Managers
- Policy Makers
- To provide an understanding of the various intervention measures in solving social problems within societies.
- To understand various methods and approaches used in social and community development
- To enhance understanding of participatory skills in management of development projects.
- To sensitize practitioners in development processes on strategies to influence change in the living conditions of communities.
- To provide sufficient knowledge and skills for those candidates aspiring to advance studies in this field.
- An aggregate grade of C-(C Minus) and above in K.C.S.E
- D- in either Mathematics /Business Studies/Geography/History/CRE/Computer Studies/Agriculture either with
- D- in English or Kiswahili
- Develop skills which are responsive and relevant to the societies needs and aspirations
- Develop conceptual skills in the analysis of concepts and practices in community development.
- To impact practical skills which can enable students to enter the job market with confidence
CURRICULUM SETUP FOR DIPLOMA IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 1
- DCU 100 Communication Skills
- DCD 103 Entrepreneurship And Development
- DCU 101 Information Communication and Technology And Ethics
- DCD101 Introduction To Community Development
- DCD 102 Management Of Community Based Organizations
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 2
- DCD 202 Advocacy And Lobbying
- DCU 102 Entrepreneurship Skills
- DCU 203 Health and Wellness
- DMT 205 Introduction to Business Statistics
- DCD 203 Introduction To Community Project Planning And Management
- DCD 201 Resource Mobilization
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 1
- DCD 303 Introduction To Community Health
- DCD 302 Leadership And Governance
- DCU 301 Research Methods
- DCD 301 Social Rehabilitation
- DCD 304 The Process Of Diffusion And Extension Services
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 2
- DCD 405 Disaster Management
- DCU 125 Gender and Development
- DCD 402 Gender And Development
- DCD 404 Globalization And Development
- DCD 406 Industrial Attachment (8 Weeks)
- DCD 407 Research Project
- DCD 403 Social Marketing And Transformation
- DCD 401 Social Policy And Administration