This programme will offer skills on how to operate, direct and manage media related engagements and is specifically designed for those interested in pursuing a Diploma/Degree in Journalism and any area of the communication sequences. The course seeks to build a strong foundation that can help trainees build their skills and enable them to work in a media house and other communication based office.
- Camera Technicians
- News anchor
- Empower students to apply appropriate communication and media skills for quality production across different settings and audiences,
- Equip learners to demonstrate knowledge of communication theory and application of learned skills in diverse media environments,
- Train students with the necessary skills to incorporate technology to communicate effectively in various settings and contexts.
- Train students demonstrate competency in communication in specific areas of interest: TV, Radio, Print and Public Relations
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Aggregate grade D+ and above with a D+ in either Kiswahili or English OR relevant qualification
Duration of Programme
Two (2) trimesters
- Demonstrate competence in oral, written, and visual communication.
- Ability to effectively use knowledge and skills gained for different media,
- Apply communication theories as well as demonstrate critical and innovative thinking.
- Ability to create objective and effective messages for multiple audiences, in different studies
CURRICULUM SETUP FOR CERTIFICATE IN JOURNALISM AND MEDIA STUDIES
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 1
- CCU 100 Communication Skills
- CCU 101 Information Communication Technology and Ethics
- CCU 102 Health and Wellness
- CJM 101 Introduction to Mass Communication
- CJM 102 English for beginning Journalists
- CJM 103 Introduction to Media House Management
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 2
- CJM 201 Introduction to Public Relations
- CJM 202 Introduction to Media Law and Ethics
- CJM 203 Writing and Reporting for Print Media
- CJM 204 Broadcast Production
- CJM 205 Photojournalism 1